Breast Feeding With Support
As moms, we all know that breast feeding is a learnt skill that not all moms/babies are able to do. Having chapped bleeding nipples, that are leaking all day and night isn’t necessarily a very attractive thought BUT I PROMISE, it gets better. Your new baby and your body will get use to all the changes and before you know it your feelings of being engorged will soon turn into questions of are you producing enough. The questions and wonders never end with parenting so having supports like Milkface will only improve your parenting experiences. There are medical reasons why mom or baby cannot nurse so if you have concerns, it is always good to check with local resources like Milkface. Milkface offers breast feeding assistance provided by International Board Certiﬁed Lactation Consultants to help assist mom and baby with developing a feeding habit and understanding. With the help of Milkface, you and your little one will be feeding like pros in no time!!
What is an IBCLC?
For 30 years, International Board Certiﬁed Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) have provided high quality lactation care and services to new mothers and infants. They work hand-in-hand with prenatal and postpartum providers to help new families meet their breastfeeding goals, and to help hospitals establish and support protocols for exclusive breastfeeding.
International Board Certiﬁed Lactation Consultants are:
• Recognized the world over as possessing the only standardized, board certiﬁed lactation credential available
• Knowledgeable about up-to-date evidence-based practices in lactation as demonstrated through a rigorous exam process
• Experienced in a wide variety of complex breastfeeding situations
• Competent to assist mothers with establishing and sustaining breastfeeding, even in the midst of difﬁculties and high-risk situations that can arise
• Sensitive to the needs of both mothers and children as they work to help mothers meet their breastfeeding goals
• Ethical in their practice, abiding by Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics and working within a deﬁned Scope of Practice.
IBCLCs Help Mothers With:
• Prenatal breastfeeding assessment and counselling
• Positioning and latch of an infant
• Prevention and management of maternal concerns such as breast pain and engorgement
• Establishing and increasing milk production
• Premature babies
• Infants with neurological deﬁcits or physical disabilities
• Suck difﬁculties that interfere with breastfeeding
• Conﬁdence to breastfeed for as long as mother and baby want
• Breastfeeding-supportive measures when mother and baby are separated due to work, medical, or educational issues
Some of their Lactation services include:
-Prenatal Breastfeeding Classes- https://www.milkface.com/collections/all/products/ottawa-breastfeeding-c...
-Private scheduled appointment
Store selection includes:
-Nursing Swim wear
-carriers of all kinds
-True North Ring Sling
-Haakaa Breast Pump -
Made from 100% food grade silicone, this compact pump is perfect for long distance trips, planes, car rides, family BBQ's or anywhere you would like to discretely express silently and quickly. Simply suction to your breast and let the pump do the work for you as it draws your milk using suction. 100% eco-friendly and safe for mum, baby and our environment.
- Perfect for traveling.
- Especially soft and comfortable - made from 100% food grade silicone.
- Fits perfectly into any handbag or baby bag.
- Dishwasher safe - also can be sterilized and left to sit in boiling water.
- Easy to use, easy to clean.
- BPA, PVC and Phthalate free.
- Compatible with all Haakaa wild neck bottles.
- No cords, batteries or assembly required.
- 100ml capacity.
- Suction base ensuring your pump will not fall over meaning no spills!
This pump was AMAZING for my daughter and I. I really valued that it worked off suction meaning the pumping process was more discrete in a work setting. The pump was super easy to wash and easy to use while you multitasked with the other hand.
How to use your breast pump:
- Sterilize your pump (caps are available online to purchase – caps keep the pump sterile after cleaning)
- Place top of pump over your nipple – make sure your nipple is in the neck of the pump and comfortable.
- Apply suction – you may need to adjust a couple of times. Once the pump is secure and comfortable you can squeeze the base of the pump (not interfering with the top/suction) to create some movement.
- A warm flannel on top of your breast is also a great tip and gently massage the top of your breast.
- Once milk begins to flow simply leave the pump alone to do its thing.
- Once the pump becomes full empty into a glass storage bottle and reposition.
- If the pump is full or you wish to stop pumping – simply suction the suction base to the table next to you while you finish your feed or re dress and the pump is 100% secure.
Also attach in the same way while your child is feeding on your other breast and collect all let down and milk which would other wise be lost into a breast pad. Waking up in the middle of the night or if engorged during the day also attach your pump for relief. Clean after each use. This product can be sterilized with any steam sterilizing system or boiling water.
No bleach based agents.
-Mamivac 28mm nipple shield - https://www.milkface.com/collections/all/products/mamivac-27mm-nipple-sh...
And SOOOO much more
Milkface is pleased to offer lactation support with an IBCLC when you need it!
We offer one on one Lactation Consults 6 days a week. We have availability Monday through Saturday at 9:30 and 11am (other appointment times may be available). Fees are $140/consult which generally last 1 1/2 -2 hours. Please call us at 613-596-1170 to book an appointment.
We believe that having consults take place in our office allows us to offer you the best care possible. All of our resources and equipment are close at hand. We have an extensive, current breastfeeding and human lactation resource library. We work as a team and during private consults and drop-in clinics there is often another IBCLC on site to confer with. Our scales are regularly calibrated and always accurate. We are a one stop resource with sales and rental of equipment such as pumps, scales, nipple shields, bras, galactogogue herbs, etc. Consults take place in a cozy private office or in our lounge area on comfy couches. Drop-in breastfeeding support clinics are offered daily as well as private consults.
Parking is available in 3 marked spots in the driveways on either side of the building. There is also street parking and a paid parking lot nearby. A support person in attendance welcome and encouraged. Two sets of ears is better than one sometimes! Written care plans are provided. If your baby needs supplementation with pumped milk or formula please bring some to the consultation.
Bring any breastfeeding aids you my be using or have questions about (i.e. Pump flanges for sizing, nipple shields, pillows, etc...)
Payment is made directly to Milkface and made via debit, credit or cash for your convenience.
Our drop-in clinics are great for follow up, weight checks and for down the road if questions should arise. Regular fee for first drop-in is $40, subsequent visits are $20. For private consult clients, any follow up drop-in visit is $20. Drop-ins are held everyday, except Sunday, at 1pm -4 (with last intake at 3pm).
We also offer a Prenatal Breastfeeding Class to new parents, other classes and workshops are also offered on a regular basis.
Milkface offered my family and I the support we required with our youngest, Makayla. Makayla was born 16 years after the first and 7 years after the last… Needless to say a few things had changed so I was starting all over again except this time I had several other kids at home so I need to get nursing. Mikllface was able to assist me with just one drop in session. They answered all my questions and sent me home with a plan to keep things progressing. Before our little sweetie was. 2 weeks old her and I were managing with lengthy feeds and less of the cluster style soothing. I highly recommend Milkface to anyone that is struggling with nursing but really wants to have the experience. Without the support of our LC, Im not sure our daughter and I would have successfully nursed for 10 months.
Milkface offers so many services that I haven’t had the chance to touch on. They cater so extensively to our nursing community that you really must check out their website for full store details and services. https://www.milkface.com
You can contact Milkface at (for more contact info https://www.milkface.com/pages/contact-us )
If you have any questions for Mom Wins or Milkface please feel free to contact us over any of the social platforms and we will be in touch shortly.